Artes Mundi was established in 2003 as a biennial contemporary visual art initiative. It is international in scope, celebrating and recognizing artists from across the world. Artes Mundi aims to:
- encourage and enable audiences to develop greater understanding and enjoyment of contemporary visual art
- support and celebrate some of the world’s most exciting artists
- demonstrate the capacity of the visual arts to communicate across linguistic and geographic boundaries
- encourage debate and exchange of ideas between Wales and the world for the benefit of artists and the wider cultural sector
- provide an opportunity for wider discussion of the role of artists in society
Artes Mundi is a charity (registered number 1097377). Its trustees are widely respected figures from business, the visual arts community and the wider cultural sector.